UPbit, the largest crypto exchange in South Korea, was the only exchange to record a profit in 2018. UPbit is operated by Dunamu, a company heavily invested in by Kakao—one of the most influential internet conglomerates in South Korea.
Every other major exchange recorded a substantial net loss, primarily due to the burst of the retail bubble in late 2017, which saw the price of Bitcoin plummeted below $7,000 from highs of $20,000 within two months.
The conditions of the crypto market in South Korea was one of the catalysts of the bullish market from December 2017 to January 2018. During which volumes on many of the leading crypto exchanges surpassed the billion-dollar mark.
To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to CryptoSlate Research.
Join CryptoSlate Research for deep analysis, long-form research and exclusive interivews
CryptoSlate Research is an exclusive premium newsletter that delivers thoroughly researched, long-form analysis from cryptocurrency and blockchain experts. These articles will not be published anywhere else and are only available to our CryptoSlate Research subscribers.
What can you expect from CryptoSlate Research?
- Exclusive insight from renowned crypto analysts including Joseph Young, Eric Thies, Kristy-Leigh Minehan, Kate Mitselmakher, Mitchell Moos, Priyeshu Garg and others.
- Hard-hitting investigative journalism and technical research providing insight into emerging sectors and industry trends.
- Original data and visual media to help you acquire a deeper understanding of what’s really happening in blockchain.
- Advanced cryptocurrency technical analysis and market insight from professional traders and financial analysts.
- Exclusive one-on-one interviews and editorials from some of the most influential people in blockchain.
- Gain access to our private Slack where you can engage with the CryptoSlate Researchers and vote on research topics.